Buneenboro: the draft Perth Water Precinct Plan is out for comment
Buneenboro is the Nyoongar name for the area of Perth Water between the Narrows Bridge in the west and the Causeway (Windan Bridge) in the east. It is the great, natural backdrop to the capital city of Perth in which Urbaqua is located.
The Draft Perth Water Precinct Plan has just been released for public comment and was developed in order to establishes a vision for the precinct, and provide development policy, direction and actions in order to achieve it. This includes actions around tourism and recreation opportunities, commercial use and transport improvements around and across the river, and respecting the cultural and environmental values of Perth Water. It was developed by the Perth Water Vision Group, comprised of eight relevant government agencies:
- City of Perth
- City of South Perth
- Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions
- Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage
- Department of Transport
- Metropolitan Redevelopment Authority
- Tourism Western Australia
- Town of Victoria Park
The Draft Precinct Plan comprises two parts:
- Part 1: Development Policy and Requirements – key policy positions and development requirements to direct and inform all types of development (including use of the land and water); and
- Part 2: Action Plan – a rolling 5-year action plan which identifies a list of actions the members of the Perth Water Vision Group (PWVG) aim to implement to achieve the Precinct Plan vision. The Action Plan will be updated as new actions arise.
Somewhat controversially the Draft Plan shows that climate change would result in Elizabeth Quay, Heirisson Island, Mill Point, and parts of Langley Park and East Perth would be under water from rising sea levels and flooding by early next century.
The map is based on modelling conducted in 2014, and is currently under review by Department of Water and Environmental Regulation (DWER). The draft Plan would require local governments, the Department of Transport, the Water Corporation and the Metropolitan Redevelopment Authority to “develop and implement an infrastructure upgrade and maintenance plan that responds to the impacts of climate change and long-term sea (river) level rise”.
To have your say, you can download a copy of the Draft Perth Water Buneenboro Precinct Plan here:
Just get in your comments to the Minister (email@example.com) by 5pm on Wednesday 23rd October 2019! Snail mail is also an option if that floats your boat and you feel like using a stamp like in the good old days:
Locked Bag 104
BENTLEY DELIVERY CENTRE WA 6983